Thursday 19 April 2018

This is how it ends

First they came for the contractors and I did not speak out
Because I was not a contractor

Then they came for the regional offices and I did not speak out
Because I didn’t work in a regional office

Then they came for the support staff and I did not speak out
Because I was not support staff

Then they came for the administrators and I did not speak out
Because I was not an administrator

Then they came for the secondees and the probationary and the temp contracts- and I tried to speak out
Just a little
But not really
because I don't have a probationary contract

Then they came for my entire programme
All the work I have ever done
All the work I believe matters
Everything I and my colleagues fought for
All the years of service and passion and innovation
And I said I would speak out
I wanted to speak out

But

Then they came for the old people
And I am an old person
And then there was no one else left to speak about anything at all

And then I found out how much my ideals are worth

$46,000

That is how much it takes to buy my silence.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is awaiting moderation.