They want a return to the past where middle aged white men were in charge. Guys such as the pouty millionaires who begged us all to vote PC last April. Perhaps then, and only then, when the wealthy and entitled "Look in the mirror" PCs and the homophobic, climate science denying, "we-don't-have-a-social-policy" WR,and all the "commonsense conservatives" join together, can the voice of the centre-left be terminated.
They call themselves "Albertans Can't Wait".
I don't know what it is they can't wait for.
- For the "Alberta Advantage" to vanquish the "bitumen bubble"?
- A return to a "taxpayer friendly government" for those making more than $125,000 a year?)
- For the Wildrose to create a shadow budget?
- For the Progressive Conservatives of Alberta to elect a new leader?
- For the separatists to form a party?
- For the Alberta Prosperity Fund to write them a big cheque?
- For Reform Alberta to achieve party status?
Grande Prairie's Chris Warkentin says "This kind of enthusiasm hasn’t been seen in provincial politics for decades."
Maybe he doesn't know what excitement looks like.
Or maybe he was dozing in his comfy MP chair when more than 700,000 people didn't vote conservative a year ago. I seem to recall a lot of excitement then. From those who threw out the PC government and couldn't stomach the Wildrose.
Or maybe it just doesn't seem like excitement it it's not waving a damn flag.
Back in 1970, the Brotherhood of Man penned the following:
United we stand...divided we fall....And if our backs should ever be against the wall....We'll be together, together you and ITake another listen, Albertans Can't Wait. Do you really think Albertans need another right wing party?
As for me, I know what it is I can't wait for.
Five parties on the far right.
Just in time for the next election.